Category Archives: Meeting Notes

7 Sept 2016

FRIENDS OF TOD CREEK WATERSHED
MEETING NOTES– 7 SEPTEMBER. 2016

Mission: To protect and enhance the integrity and biodiversity of the Tod Creek Watershed

Regrets: Pat Carfra, Lori James and Michael Derry, Bernie Bowker

Present: Audrey Barnes, Winona Pugh. Carmel Thomson, Joanne Delage, Mary Haig-Brown

1. Adoption of Agenda

2. Adoption of meeting notes of 6 July, 2016

3. Treasurer’s report – Joanne

Balance, 6 July, 2016     $1,286.99
Interest Aug/Sept           $       0.02
Cheque to Sign Waves   $     47.25
Balance, 7 September    $ 1239.76

Outstanding cheque for sign installation $734.08

New cheques ordered. Credit Union does not supply cheques any more. Joanne ordered them from Internet.

She donated the cost.

4. Announcements:

Display updated for PL BBQ. Four boards showing our projects with updates were created in August.

They were very well received by people at the community BBQ.

5. Wrote a letter of support for FMLWS.   See below, letter # 1.

6. Streamkeepers course Oct 15 & 16.   10 people registered including one teenager.

Notice and registration form from PSS to be sent out shortly.
PSS Fundraiser – Dinner and silent auction at PL Hall on 19th Nov. Save the date.

7. Bus tour of Watershed is coming up. Date: Sunday, 30th Oct. Funding for this info event comes through PSS.

June is arranging it.

8. Saanich Older Adults Strategy 24 Sept.

Register at any Saanich Rec Centre by 22 Sept.      See “Announcements” Page for poster.

9. Our membership list is getting long. Shall I start using Bcc?

Those members present agreed they liked seeing the complete list.

If anyone would like their name Blind Copied or removed from the list, please let me know.

10. Projects:

Whitehead Park and Lohr Road – The plants are labelled and trails are tidied. A few more chips to be spread on the cardboard covering the Reed Canary Grass. We are waiting for the rains to soften the ground before we can do much more.

Tod Creek Flats – Creek and berm work are almost finished. Culverts are in and will soon have fish screens. Talks with farmers about the best practices for the flats are ongoing.

Historical and Environmental Sign is in place on Centennial Trail by flats. Pat C. sends her praises to all involved.

Survey of land owners beside the creek has been mostly completed.

The idea is to know who lives on the creek and to offer them any help if they need it.

See below: letter # 2

Saanich is cleaning out Killarney Creek at the fan. (Winona’s place) They are removing Reed Canary Grass and some YFI. Over 30 cutthroat trout were removed from the short section they are working on.

11. Lake Stewardship – Winona.

July 27th sampling event was well attended and the samples have gone to the BC Museum, adding to our

ongoing data collection. Plankton samples are being analysed by Laura Kline at CRD water quality.

12. Sept 24th Aquatic invasives workshop is full but names are being taken for a waiting list.

The workshop is based at Elk/Beaver Lake.

13. Maltby Lake – Sat Oct. 22 Green Team at the lake to remove invasives.

They have had very good bat counts since the installation of the Rocket Box.

14. Heritage – Winona reports they are taking a break, but several members had great displays at the Saanich Fair.

The AGM did not have a quorum so it will be rescheduled.

Next meeting November 2nd
Location: to be determined

 

Letter # 1:

screen-shot-2016-09-12-at-2-49-01-pm

 

Letter # 2:

 

6 July 2014

FRIENDS OF TOD CREEK WATERSHED MEETING NOTES – 6 JULY, 2016

Mission: To protect and enhance the integrity and biodiversity of the Tod Creek Watershed

Regrets: Pat Carfra, Lin Callow

Present: Carmel Thomson, Janet Williams, Woody Thomson, Joanne Delage, Lori James Derry, Michael Derry, Audrey Barnes, Winona Pugh, Gwen Curry, Bernie Bowker, Mary Haig-Brown

1. Adoption of Agenda

2. Adoption of meeting notes of 4 May, 2016

3. Treasurer’s report Balance as of 4 May, 2016 $1,336.96 Interest June, July .03 Web site expense (Renfroe) (50.00) Balance, 6 July, 2016 $1,286.99

4. Announcements:

  • a) Peninsula Streams Fundraiser will be at Prospect Lake Hall on November 19 th 2016. Save the date.
  • b) Streamkeepers Course being offered Oct 15 & 16. We need an active group to assess and improve Tod Creek for salmon. Eight people have signed up so far. We are looking for young, active people to do the ongoing monitoring. Mary will call Amanda Evans and Colin Plant for suggestions.
  • c) Saanich Agriculture and Food Security Plan. Please fill out survey at saanich.ca/food. The information from the survey will be used in developing the Food Security Plan.
  • d) Watershed bus tour – need someone to organize this. Winona will get this started. The bus used last time was sourced through Ken Josephson.
  • e) Celebrating our Natural Capital – meetings with Samuel Godfrey and others to plan an event. Watch for further information.
  • f) Saanich Native Plants, James and Kirsten Miskelly won a Saanich Environmental Award for their business, Saanich Native Plants.
  • g) Grass workshop was held in June. Audrey, Michael and Lori attended and found it very useful in knowing what to look for as they identify grasses.
  • h) The latest issue of THE PROSPECTOR has two articles by Winona. The first is about the work in Whitehad Park (too bad about the typos) and the second is about Tod Creek Flats. Unfortunately the final section dealing with the human history of the Flats was left out which is disappointing.

5. Projects:

  • a) Whitehead Park and Lohr Road – We will be labelling native plants at Lohr Road with June’s help on Friday morning. June is pleased with how well the plants are doing and with the number of insects on them.
  • b) Tod Creek Flats – RFCPP grant is expected to be approved to enable work to continue this summer. The new owner of the parcel between Brian Higgins and Red Damsel Farm is very supportive of the work planned. He will lease his farm land. The Interpretive sign design is now with Saanich. They will install the sign along the trail near the Wallace Drive end. Many thanks to Carmel for the design work.

6. Lake Stewardship: Winona

  • a) Secchi Disc dip for BC Lake Stewardship is to be done during the month of July. Winona will combine this with an aquatic plant survey at the spots chosen earlier. The samples are dried, identified and stored at the Provincial Museum. Anyone interested in being involved in this task should contact Winona.
  • b) Aquatic plant workshop on 24 th September will focus on plants from Elk/Beaver Lake.

7. Maltby Lake: Broom bash with Green Team on May 14 th was successful.

8. Web Page: Lori is learning about photo point monitoring so she can record the changes being made and happening at various spots on Tod Creek.

9. Heritage: Winona

You are invited to attend our Prospect Lake Heritage Society AGM and visit to the Observatory Grounds. We will be holding the AGM on Tuesday July 19 at 11:30 am at the former Center of the Universe building on the Observatory Grounds. You are welcome to join us at the lower parking lot at 10:30 am and hike the trail to the summit of Little Saanich Mountain or drive to the upper parking lot and explore the various trails at 11:00 . Bring a picnic lunch and enjoy the views as we review the activities of the past year. Winona Chair Prospect Lake Heritage Society

10 . Next meeting: 7 September

  • Location: Maltby Lake. We will be outside so dress accordingly.

2 March 2016

FRIENDS OF TOD CREEK WATERSHED
MEETING NOTES
2 MARCH, 2016

Mission: To protect and enhance the integrity and biodiversity of the Tod Creek Watershed.

Present: Michael and Lori Derry, Audrey Barnes, Winona Pugh, Joanne Delage, Pat Carfra, Woody Thomson, Bernie Bowker, Mary Haig-Brown.

Regrets: Sherron MacPherson

  1. Adoption of Agenda

2.  Adoption of Meeting Notes of 6 January, 2016

3.  Treasurer’s report:

  • Balance as of 1 Jan. $1462.81
    Plus 2 mon. interest .06
    Balance 2 March, 2015 $1462.87

4.  Announcements:

  • EDPA discussions are still going on. Committee of the Whole Meeting may be on Wednesday, March 16 at Pearkes Field House.    http://www.saanich.ca/living/natural/planning/edpa.html
  • for more EDPA info:  http://protectsaanichenvironment.weebly.com
  • Email: protectsaanichenvironment@gmail.com
  • Letter of thanks sent to Goldstream Volunteer Enhancement Association for their gift of 4500 coho smots for Tod Creek.  Visit this group at:  http://www.gvsea.com    
  • Letter of support for PSS sent to PSF for grant application to fund the completion of last year’s work on Flats and monitoring device for fish counting.
  • The Pacific Salmon Foundation can be found here:  https://www.psf.ca
  • A letter of thanks was received from Lana Popham, MLA, for our work in getting the creek ready for the coho.  Open link here to read the letter:  http://todcreek.rd123.ca/community-partners
  • Reminder of the dates for the Broom Bashes with The Green Team. April 3oth for South Prospect Lake Park and May 14th for Maltby Lake. We will have a site visit before each of these events to choose exact areas to be worked on. Mary to send out notice when these dates are set.
  • There is to be a work party with Wendy Tyrell of HAT on covenanted property on Goward Road. The date has not yet been set.
  • An email from Jenny Eastman re Haliburton Tour and Grass Identificaton Workshop.  The Grass workshop will be good to do before the Goward Road work party.  Workshop details can be found here: http://todcreek.rd123.ca/announcements
  • Restoration sites in Tod Creek Watershed on public land. The list was sent to Kitty Lloyd of CRD. Sites are: Trevlac Ponds, Eastlake Road, Whitehead Park. Lohr Road, Gowlland Tod Park (Butchart’s Fishway and the beach at the inlet). I should have mentioned South Prospect Lake Park.
  • Wetlands Workshop in Parksville, Friday April 22 to Sunday April 24. See www.bcwf.bc.ca for more details and to sign up.  http://www.bcwf.bc.ca
  • The Saanich Inlet Protection Society will be holding its Annual General Meeting on Sunday, March 13 from 4:15 pm to 5pm.   Brentwood Bay Community Hall, 7082 Wallace Drive.  Dr. Eoin Flynn B.Sc., PhD, MBA will speak on Liquified Natural Gas Facilities and Tankers in Saanich Inlet from 2:30 to 4pm. The AGM will follow at 4:15 pm.
    Those wishing further information or to join the Board of Directors, please contact: 250-480-9292 or email francespugh48@yahoo.com.

5. Projects:

  • Interpretive sign for Tod Flats. The sign is to be 30 inches wide and 50 inches tall. Site is chosen, Saanich to prepare site, provide stand, bike racks, sign printing, create platform with gravel surfacing for a Total of $8,450. I have asked for a price for them to provide concrete etc. for installation. Carmel, Winona and Lori are working on content and design. Michael Derry will do the concrete work if necessary.
  •  Tod Flats – PSS has applied to PSF for funds to complete the job started last year and to install fish monitoring equipment. RFCPP has not called for more proposals.
  • Whitehead Park – Evergreen has been working on the ivy on the west side. I have asked for more mulch and chips to dress the plants and add to the trails. These should be delivered this week. Everyone is invited to come to Whitehead on Monday, 7 March, at 9:30 to help us develop plans for the next steps. Just tell us what you think needs dong and we will try to make it happen.  http://www.evergreen.ca/about/

6.  Lake Stewardship

  • Winona – Plant sampling will take place again in late July. Secchi disc reading will be done at the same time. Plant samples are taken to RBCM for identification and storage in order to build up a picture of change in growth over time.  Please visit:  http://royalbcmuseum.bc.ca

7.  Maltby Lake

  • Woody reports the 6% still needs to be saved. FMLWS are working on this but are still waiting for their Registered Charity Number so they can give tax receipts to donors. For the May 14th event there is lots of ivy as well as broom. We will arrange a site visit in early May to pick site(s) to work on.
  • Visit:  http://maltbylake.com

8. Web site and Facebook page

  •  Lori is just back from Hawaii and ready to start posting again.

9. Heritage

  •  Winona says Mosi’s has Heritage photos which could be rotated. There is some confusion about who owns the photos. Winona and Lori are talking with Mosi’s to sort this out and get the rotating display active again.

10.   Next Meeting May 4th.   Location: Lori and Michael’s.