Category Archives: Meeting Notes

1 March 2017

FRIENDS OF TOD CREEK WATERSHED
MEETING NOTES – 1 MARCH, 2017

Mission: To protect and enhance the integrity and biodiversity of the Tod Creek Watershed

Present: Lori James Derry, Michael Derry, Bernie Bowker, Winona Pugh, Walter Wright, Carmel Thomson, Brian Koval, Mary Haig-Brown
Regrets: Pat C., Ian Duncan and Anne Allen, Sherron MacPherson, Joanne Delage, Woody Thomson
Guest: Brian Koval, PSS.
Special welcome to new member Walter Wright
Adoption of Agenda
Adoption of Meeting Notes of 4 January, 2017
Treasurer’s report: Closing Balance 4 Jan $805.68
No significant change in balance. Update at next meeting.

Announcements:
Saanich Council Grants in Aid on Tue. 14 March. We need a volunteer to accompany Francesca. Brian may go.
South Prospect Lake Broom Bash still on April 22 from 9:45 – 1:00. The date change discussed at the meeting will not happen. We cut the broom on Earth Day along with The Green Team.
Green Shores Workshop is on March 3. There may be a space or 2 left. Call (250) 721-8463 for more info. This is an excellent course.
Streamkeepers course March 25-26th. Brian is one of the instructors. An outline of the course is at the end of these notes.
– Calls for another bus tour possibly in the spring. We may do this in spring or fall.
Great beach restoration in Tod Inlet. Cement pad and soil was removed and a huge barge load of gravel and sand was put in its place. This is beside the floats and nature float. It is expected that this non polluted material will be colonized by clams and other sea life. A visit on Family Day two days later revealed families sitting in the sunshine on the sloping gravel beach watching their children play. Thanks go to SeaChange (Nikki Wright) and Pen Streams.
Creek monitoring – DO metre is unrepairable. We can borrow one from PSS. We will start our year of monitoring asap. Mary and Winona will lead. Interested volunteers always welcome.
– Working on getting bathymetry of Killarney Lake. CRD not likely to repair the dam any time soon. We may install a controlled siphon to let water out in the low flow season.
Projects:
– Whitehead Park – Saanich brought the plants on Monday in the snow. Too snowy for planting. We will work on planting on Monday at 9:30 as usual. This should be the last major planting for this restoration project.

Tod Creek Flats – Brian reported that on Friday, March 3 they will be installing smolt traps on the culverts to enable monitoring of the smolts heading off the flats. Non-clipped smolts were released on the Flats on 10 January and clipped smolts were release at various spots in Tod Creek on 15 February. The traps will enable us to monitor weight gain on the flats and the clipping will let us know if fish are going over the berm onto the flats or not. Friday, March 3 at 10:00 behind the Red Barn for installation of traps. Come and see. Traps will be checked daily after that.

A fish counting camera will be installed on Butchart’s fishway on Thursday, 9 March. This will let us know who is going out to sea and who is coming back. A live stream from this camera is on the wish list. Currently there is no wi-fi access at the site.

Web site: Lori
Signs for park: Lori is working with Andrew Burger to get some small signs showing before and after photos of restoration sites at various spots in the park.

– Interview with Ron de Pol. Ron was one of the original people who worked on the restoration of Tod Creek. We are building on his work and are deeply grateful to him. Lori will interview him and put the result on our web site.

Lake Stewardship: Winona met with Sean Steele, Eva Riccius of Saanich Parks, Adriane Pollard of Sannich Environmental Services. They would like to collate the data that has been collected already and add additional data as it is collected. Saanich will participate. Data on blue/green algae as was seen at Christmas is very important. A further distribution of the book Living By Water was proposed. Adriane is looking into this.

Maltby: Carmel reports they are working toward strategies for ensuring that the land and lake are protected.
Heritage – Winona reports they are working learning about the new regulations in the Societies Act. One project they have is working on Heritage designation for Dumbleton Lodge.

Next meeting – May 3rd
Location: Haig-Brown/Bowker house.

4 Jan 2017

FRIENDS OF TOD CREEK WATERSHED

MEETING NOTES – 4 JANUARY, 2017

Mission: To protect and enhance the integrity and biodiversity of the Tod Creek Watershed.

Regrets: Rick and Donna Todd, Frances Hunter, Winona Pugh, Gwen Curry

Present: Ian Duncan, Audrey Barnes, Ann Allan, Pat Carfra, Lori James-Derry, Joanne Delage, Bernie Bowker, Mary Haig-Brown

Guest Speaker: Lisa Rodgers

  1. Adoption of Agenda
  2. Adoption of meeting notes of 2 November, 2016
  3. Guest speaker: Lisa Rodgers, Elk/Beaver Lake Initiative Coordinator talked about the work she and others are doing in coming to understand Elk/Beaver Lake. Particular attention was paid to Blue-Green Algae (Cyrano Bacteria) which are naturally occurring but have recently bloomed profusely at times. This is serious as it is fatal to dogs and probably makes people ill as well if it is ingested. The blooms are caused when Phosphorus comes in contact with Nitrogen. Cyrano bacteria can capture Nitrogen with the aid of sunlight. The Phosphorus is in lake sediments and various disturbances, such as introduced carp nosing around, cause it to come to the surface. Methods of preventing the Phosphorus from rising are being considered. CRD will be holding an information event when they have decided on a method. Elk/Beaver has a sediment problem because it is a dammed lake and therefore does not have natural flushing. Prospect Lake

has a more complete flushing action and is less likely to have a buildup of Phosphorus. Residents should call Adriane Pollard when they do see Blue Green Algae in Prospect so that we can develop a better picture of when and how often it builds up in Prospect.

For more complete information please go to <crd.bc.ca> and search for Featured Watersheds, then scroll down to Elk/Beaver.

  1. Treasurer’s report – Joanne
    Balance 2 Nov, 2016 $ 505.68
    Add donation in memory of Grace Bennett 300.00 Closing Balance 4 January, 2017 $ 805.68
  2. Announcements:

    a) Broom removal at S. Prospect Lake Park with Green Team on Saturday April 22 from 9:45 – 1:00. Mary to inform Saanich and ask for a garbage pick ahead of that date and an invasives pickup after that date.

    1. b)  Archive created in handy carry case for lending. It contains meeting notes and pack ups starting in November, 2000. If you would like to borrow it let Mary know <mhaigbrown@telus.net>.
    2. c)  PSS fundraiser raised $3,500. Disappointing. 2017 is their 15th Anniversary. Perhaps a bigger celebration/fund raiser will be worked on.

      for 2017.

d) We would like to help PSS to do another bus tour of the watershed.

We look forward to the information event planned by CRD about Blue Green Algae.

Creek monitoring for temp, DO. We would like to repeat the monitoring of the creek for Oxygen levels, temperature etc. at the same spots we used in 2012-13 in order to see what difference our work has done. Mary to find a DO meter to use for this.

  1. Projects:
    1. a)  Whitehead Park- taking a break, planting still to happen
    2. b)  Tod Creek Flats – RFCPP application in. PSS is asking for funding to continue the work done on the Flats over the last two years. Monitoring of water flows and fish access on and off the Flats and more work up stream removing blockages, adding riffles and adding spawning beds are in the plans.
  2. Web site – Lori continues to maintain and expand our web site and Facebook page. She will try boosting our posts if it is not too expensive. She has applied for a Small Sparks Grant to aid in the administrative expenses of this work.

    Lori is also working on a repository of Prospect Lake Birds, and Prospect Lake Flora and Fauna. This idea came out of our search for good photos of these when we were working on the Tod Flats interpretive sign.

8. Maltby Lake – Carmel and Woody were not there.

9. Heritage – Lori reports they have joined the Hallmark Society.

10.Next meeting – 1 March, 2017
Location: Lori and Michael Derry’s house.

2 Nov 2016

FRIENDS OF TOD CREEK WATERSHED

MEETING NOTES– 2 NOVEMBER, 2016

Mission: To protect and enhance the integrity and biodiversity of the Tod Creek Watershed.

Present: Woody Thomson, Winona Pugh, Joanne Delage, Bernie Bowker, Pat Carfra and Mary Haig-Brown

  1. Adoption of the Agenda
  2. Adoption of the minutes from 7 September, 2016.
  3. Treasurer’s report – Joanne

Balance, 7 Sept, 2016 Cheque for sign installation New Balance

$

$1239.76 734.08*

505.68

*Installation by Saanich cost $1500. Money from Unitarian Church ($765.92) was being held for us by PSS. (765.92+734.08 =1500). Saanich is paid in full.

Cheques in Memory of Grace Bennett totaled $300.

4. Announcements:

a) Grace Bennett, 1925 – 2016. Long-time resident of Prospect Lake and a member of the Recycled Teenagers Walking Group. She loved camping and the outdoors. When she passed away in September her family asked

that donations in lieu of flowers be made to FTCW. We thank them for that.

  1. b)  Bus tour of Tod Creek Watershed was a big success with 40 people having a chance to see some of the restoration sites of the watershed. Letters and comments of appreciation to PSS are helpful to them when they are applying for grants.
  2. c)  PSS Fundraiser Dinner and Silent Auction November 19th at PL Community Hall. Suggested auction items:

    Hike up Mt Work – Winona will lead this and she and Mary will make the lunch. We suggest a minimum bid of $75.00. Winona will send a write up and picture to Francesca.

    Paddle on the lake – After some discussion about liability we decided to offer 3 or 4 canoes with one passenger in each. Canoes come from Pat C, Bernie B, Lori JD with Winona paddling and if necessary from Woody T. Min bid $75.00. Pat will send a write up and picture to Francesca.

    Wander around Killarney Lake – Mary will lead this and she and Judith Kirchner will make the lunch. Minimum bid $50.00. Mary will send a write up and picture to Francesca.

  3. d)  Stream-keepers course postponed until the spring. A notice will be circulated closer to the time.

e) Mary will retire in 1 1?2 years. Fair warning.

5. Projects:

  1. a)  Whitehead Park: Monday, 7 Nov. the removal of the final 2 exclosures and a plan for planting of the final section at the south end near the lake will take place with help from Saanich Parks Staff. On-going maintenance will always be needed.
  2. b)  Tod Creek Flats – This summer’s work included an extension of the berm southward which was mostly intact but needed the repair of some breached areas. Three cross ditches with culverts under the berm facilitate return of fish to the creek after a winter of feasting on the flats. Screens on the culverts to enable control of fish entry and installation of fish traps in order to monitor fish movement are much enhanced with head walls built by Michael Derry. Much riparian planting has been done.

6. Lake Stewardship – Winona reports lake monitoring continues. The lake has recently turned over so another session is planned for next week, either Friday, Nov. 11 or Saturday, Nov. 12. Please contact her if you would like to help.

Winona attended the B.C. Invasives workshop. Zebra mussels are a species of great concern. So far none are in Prospect Lake but we must be vigilant. The only way to be sure they do not arrive is to stop boats from using the lake if they have been in infested waters. This is probably not possible.

Lisa Rogers is the co-ordinator at Elk-Beaver Lake. She is very knowledgeable.

7. Maltby Lake – Woody reported they had a great invasive removal with help from the Green Team on Sunday, 23 October.

Saanich contract worker, Marika, surveyed the significant trees on the Maltby property. There was only time to do part of the property so Marika will be back.

Nov. 14 is the next court date for dealing with the final 6% of the TLC lands. Purchase may be in installments.

  1. Web site and Facebook – Lori is keeping both up to date. She is applying for a Small Sparks Grant to help with the computer work.
  2. Heritage – Winona reported they had their AGM last week. They discussed the New Societies Act, in particular the on- line filing system.

    They are expecting there will be grants available for the Canada 150 events.

10. Next meeting – January 4th
Location: Audrey Barnes house, 140 Kiowa Place.