2 March 2016

Meeting Notes

Friends of Tod Creek Watershed meet the first Wednesday of every second month.
You are welcome to join us.

Mission: To protect and enhance the integrity and biodiversity of the Tod Creek Watershed.

To view notes from previous meetings, use the “Meeting Notes” Archive links on the right panel.

__________________________________________________________________________________

FRIENDS OF TOD CREEK WATERSHED
MEETING NOTES
2 MARCH, 2016

Mission: To protect and enhance the integrity and biodiversity of the Tod Creek Watershed.

Present: Michael and Lori Derry, Audrey Barnes, Winona Pugh, Joanne Delage, Pat Carfra, Woody Thomson, Bernie Bowker, Mary Haig-Brown.

Regrets: Sherron MacPherson

  1. Adoption of Agenda

2.  Adoption of Meeting Notes of 6 January, 2016

3.  Treasurer’s report:

  • Balance as of 1 Jan. $1462.81
    Plus 2 mon. interest .06
    Balance 2 March, 2015 $1462.87

4.  Announcements:

  • EDPA discussions are still going on. Committee of the Whole Meeting may be on Wednesday, March 16 at Pearkes Field House.    http://www.saanich.ca/living/natural/planning/edpa.html
  • for more EDPA info:  http://protectsaanichenvironment.weebly.com
  • Email: protectsaanichenvironment@gmail.com
  • Letter of thanks sent to Goldstream Volunteer Enhancement Association for their gift of 4500 coho smots for Tod Creek.  Visit this group at:  http://www.gvsea.com    
  • Letter of support for PSS sent to PSF for grant application to fund the completion of last year’s work on Flats and monitoring device for fish counting.
  • The Pacific Salmon Foundation can be found here:  https://www.psf.ca
  • A letter of thanks was received from Lana Popham, MLA, for our work in getting the creek ready for the coho.  Open link here to read the letter:  http://todcreek.rd123.ca/community-partners
  • Reminder of the dates for the Broom Bashes with The Green Team. April 3oth for South Prospect Lake Park and May 14th for Maltby Lake. We will have a site visit before each of these events to choose exact areas to be worked on. Mary to send out notice when these dates are set.
  • There is to be a work party with Wendy Tyrell of HAT on covenanted property on Goward Road. The date has not yet been set.
  • An email from Jenny Eastman re Haliburton Tour and Grass Identificaton Workshop.  The Grass workshop will be good to do before the Goward Road work party.  Workshop details can be found here: http://todcreek.rd123.ca/announcements
  • Restoration sites in Tod Creek Watershed on public land. The list was sent to Kitty Lloyd of CRD. Sites are: Trevlac Ponds, Eastlake Road, Whitehead Park. Lohr Road, Gowlland Tod Park (Butchart’s Fishway and the beach at the inlet). I should have mentioned South Prospect Lake Park.
  • Wetlands Workshop in Parksville, Friday April 22 to Sunday April 24. See www.bcwf.bc.ca for more details and to sign up.  http://www.bcwf.bc.ca
  • The Saanich Inlet Protection Society will be holding its Annual General Meeting on Sunday, March 13 from 4:15 pm to 5pm.   Brentwood Bay Community Hall, 7082 Wallace Drive.  Dr. Eoin Flynn B.Sc., PhD, MBA will speak on Liquified Natural Gas Facilities and Tankers in Saanich Inlet from 2:30 to 4pm. The AGM will follow at 4:15 pm.
    Those wishing further information or to join the Board of Directors, please contact: 250-480-9292 or email francespugh48@yahoo.com.

5. Projects:

  • Interpretive sign for Tod Flats. The sign is to be 30 inches wide and 50 inches tall. Site is chosen, Saanich to prepare site, provide stand, bike racks, sign printing, create platform with gravel surfacing for a Total of $8,450. I have asked for a price for them to provide concrete etc. for installation. Carmel, Winona and Lori are working on content and design. Michael Derry will do the concrete work if necessary.
  •  Tod Flats – PSS has applied to PSF for funds to complete the job started last year and to install fish monitoring equipment. RFCPP has not called for more proposals.
  • Whitehead Park – Evergreen has been working on the ivy on the west side. I have asked for more mulch and chips to dress the plants and add to the trails. These should be delivered this week. Everyone is invited to come to Whitehead on Monday, 7 March, at 9:30 to help us develop plans for the next steps. Just tell us what you think needs dong and we will try to make it happen.  http://www.evergreen.ca/about/

6.  Lake Stewardship

  • Winona – Plant sampling will take place again in late July. Secchi disc reading will be done at the same time. Plant samples are taken to RBCM for identification and storage in order to build up a picture of change in growth over time.  Please visit:  http://royalbcmuseum.bc.ca

7.  Maltby Lake

  • Woody reports the 6% still needs to be saved. FMLWS are working on this but are still waiting for their Registered Charity Number so they can give tax receipts to donors. For the May 14th event there is lots of ivy as well as broom. We will arrange a site visit in early May to pick site(s) to work on.
  • Visit:  http://maltbylake.com

8. Web site and Facebook page

  •  Lori is just back from Hawaii and ready to start posting again.

9. Heritage

  •  Winona says Mosi’s has Heritage photos which could be rotated. There is some confusion about who owns the photos. Winona and Lori are talking with Mosi’s to sort this out and get the rotating display active again.

10.   Next Meeting May 4th.   Location: Lori and Michael’s.

 

 

Permalink

Comments are closed.