8 Jan 2014

Meeting Notes

Friends of Tod Creek Watershed meet the first Wednesday of every second month.
You are welcome to join us.

Mission: To protect and enhance the integrity and biodiversity of the Tod Creek Watershed.

To view notes from previous meetings, use the “Meeting Notes” Archive links on the right panel.

__________________________________________________________________________________

 

FRIENDS OF TOD CREEK WATERSHED 

MEETING NOTES 

8 JANUARY, 2014 

Mission: To protect and enhance the integrity and biodiversity of the Tod Creek Watershed. 

Regrets: Sherron MacPherson,

Present: Woody Thomson, Joanne Delage, Pat Carfra, Bernie Bowker, Audrey Barnes, Lori James Derry, Winona Pugh, Mary Haig-Brown,

1. Adoption of Agenda

2. Adoption of Meeting Notes of 20 November, 2013

3. Treasurer’s report: Joanne reports a balance of $1674.98. We bought Fence posts and plant markers.

4. Announcements:

a. I did not get an article written for Dec. Our Backyard

b. Shona Smith, DFO CA is coming Monday to look at projects in the watershed. We will meet at 9:30 at Whitehead park.

c. Banner for FTCW – Lori has looked into this and we would like to go ahead with it. Frances Hunter has offered to help with layout. Lori and Winona would like suggestions for pictures to go on the banner along with our name and logo. Perhaps we could apply for a Small Sparks Grant to help with this.

d. Lake Stewardship – Secci Discs and macrophytes. Where do we want to go with these? There was strong support for moving in this direction. More frequent Secci disc readings could be taken if it were quick and easy to put Lori’s kayaks into the lake. A discussion followed about building a small environmentally sensitive dock at Killarney Creek Fan in order to facilitate this and demonstrate low impact entry to the lake.

 

It was also noted that there is an Imax movie currently showing about beavers and that the Robert Bateman Centre is free from 5:00-8:00pm on Wednesdays until March 15.

e. Solid Waste treatment and a RRC at Hartland – PLDCA is taking action on this. See their web site for up to date information. A well attended and well run meeting took place on Dec. 11.

f. DO monitoring results and Butchart’s dam will be discussed with Shona on Monday. See b. above.

5. Projects:

a. Web site – http://todcreek.rd123.ca – Lori has added photos from Prospect Lake Reflections to the web site as well as some video of the salmon at the Colquitz River Fish Counting Fence. She is having difficulty putting the meeting notes on the web site, but will have another tutorial with Dave Renfroe when he gets home.

b. Killarney Creek Fan update – Winona reports that shoots are coming up from the bits of Yellow Flag Iris roots that we missed. Because the lake level is low she is able to pull then up quite easily so far.

c. Whitehead Park update – Pulling Together crew. We are now into the winter work of pulling blackberry crowns on the next section of the park. Pat reports that some neighbours thought they should not walk through this area because the sign says it is under restoration. We will ask on at the Pulling Together Workshop on Saturday, 11th January about a small additional sign to welcome people. We also wondered about the Parks policy around use of natural areas in parks.

6. Heritage: Lori and Winona met with Jane Evans of Saanich Archives. She is putting together a brochure for a self guided walking tour in this area using the information gathered by the Heritage Society.

7. Other issues:

a. Pat reports there is Daphne proliferating along the trail from Goward to the school and on to the Interurban trail. What is the best method to remove it and do we have the person power? We will bring this up on Saturday. 

 

 

b. Woody reported the formation of the Friends of Maltby Lake Watershed in response to the great support the Lake has received in the last little while. There was discussion of the format of the group. There are over 100 people interested. It is being spearheaded by former students who have lived and studied there over the years.

c. Lori has been tracking our volunteer hours over the past year. We put in 639.5 hours in Whitehead Park including River’s Day. For grant writing purposes these can be valued at $20/hour. Audrey and Lori are working out spread sheets to record the hours put into the various projects we do.

8. Next Meeting: 5th March, 2014. Audrey Barnes will host unless someone else would like to.

 

Permalink

Comments are closed.